- Rouhani: Nuclear deal 'very likely' by July deadline - Times of Israel May 23, 2014Talks between Iran and six world powers on a comprehensive deal over its nuclear program are "very likely" to reach a successful conclusion by a July 20 deadline, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Thursday.
- Pro-Russia separatists kill 16 Ukrainian soldiers ahead of election - CTV News May 23, 2014In the deadliest raid yet on Ukrainian troops, pro-Russia insurgents attacked a military checkpoint Thursday, killing 16 soldiers, and the interim prime minister accused Moscow of trying to disrupt the upcoming election for a new president to lead the divided country out of its crisis.
- Iran: Any aggression will be met with 'crushing and lethal response' - Jerusalem Post May 23, 2014The Iranian military highlighted its full preparedness in the event of foreign aggression on Thursday, just days after nuclear talks in Vienna ended with no progress made.
- Rouhani: The U.S. Owes Iran Reparations for 'Hostile Policies' - Washington Free Beacon May 23, 2014Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is demanding that the Obama administration pay Tehran reparations for "hostile policies" that have cost the Iranian people "much loss and damage," according to the country's state-run media.
- Russia, China veto UN move to refer Syria to ICC - Times of Israel May 23, 2014Russia and China have vetoed a UN Security Council resolution referring the Syrian crisis to the International Criminal Court for investigation of possible war crimes.
- Vatican Says Pope Will Demand 'Sovereign Palestine' - Arutz Sheva May 23, 2014The Vatican's Secretary of State made a dramatic revelation ahead of Pope Francis's visit to Israel next Sunday and Monday, declaring that the pope will talk about the "Palestinian people's right to have a homeland, sovereign and independent."
- Pope Francis Visits Jordan, Israel, Palestine: Expect the Unexpected - TIME May 23, 2014In a region where politics and religion have been enmeshed for centuries, the Pope's simplest actions will carry both spiritual and social weight. It will be the first time that an official papal delegation will include members of other faiths -- an imam and a rabbi.
- Thai army takes power in coup after talks between rivals fail - CNBC May 23, 2014Thailand's army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha seized control of the government in a coup on Thursday, two days after he declared martial law, saying the military had to restore order and push through reforms after six months of turmoil.
- Ukraine's People's Republic of Luhansk to Declare Martial Law - RIA Novosti May 23, 2014The self-proclaimed People's Republic of Luhansk in eastern Ukraine is planning to impose martial law, a source in the republic's leadership told RIA Novosti on Thursday.
- Russia mulling deal to build up to 8 nuclear reactors for Iran - Jerusalem Post May 23, 2014Russia plans to sign a contract with Iran this year to build two more nuclear reactors at its Bushehr power plant as part of a broader deal for up to eight reactors in the Islamic state, a source close to the negotiations told Reuters on Thursday.